Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Interesting quote...

From a sermon on marriage:

"My goal is to make my wife believe that the best thing she has ever done is to marry me."

Looking back now on what I just typed, I can see how it might look self-centered ("I'm so awesome, aren't you glad you married me?"), but that's not the context in which it was said. What he meant was: "I want to be the best husband humanly possible, supporting and loving and caring for my wife so much that she will never have cause to regret her choice to spend her life with me. In fact, not only will she not regret it, she will be more happy with that decision than with any other she has ever made." He followed it up by quoting Philippians 2:3

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves."

He didn't dwell on this, and I don't think that his quote was intended to be a pithy statement, or even the point of the sermon (which was titled "Lasting Love"), but that sentence is what stuck out to me. I like it. I think more people should adopt this goal. I once heard love defined as:
"Jealously guarding the well-being of another." Lots to think about. What a huge goal for a marriage: defending the happiness of my husband, putting his needs before my own, loving him in such a way that he will never have cause to regret his decision to marry me.

If you want to listen to the sermon, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment