Monday, March 8, 2010

I'm still alive, honest!!!

Okay, this is going to be a very quick post, because it's past my bedtime, and I have to be up early, but I knew that if I continued to put it off until tomorrow, I would never post again...

It has been nearly 3 months since my last post, and I am ashamed. In all fairness, during that time frame I managed to contract the swine flu, crash my computer's hard-drive,* and become so incredibly busy and stressed out, that I am actually extremely excited about having my wisdom teeth removed at the end of this month, because it means I will get a few days of rest! Seriously, I'm stoked. The only thing I am looking forward to more is getting married. Can't wait. Totally psyched. Surgery is gonna be AWESOME! I'm getting giddy thinking about it. Is that weird?

Anyway, those are some of the lame excuses for why I haven't posted in so long. It takes time and energy to write a thoughtful post,** and I don't have much of either of those things anymore. In fact, I seem to have less and less every year. My former Theory professor*** was right: "It only gets worse." Drat!

I would like to close this disjointed and eclectic post with two things that I learned today****:

1. The word "Backronym," as a definition for an acronym that was invented post-hoc for an already existing word. I thought it was an aptly clever term.

2. That grey eyes, despite appearing darker than blue eyes, actually have the least amount of melanin (aside from albinos). This helped to settle a few questions I have had for quite some time. Namely, why my eyes, while mostly gray, appear to change color depending on the light, or what I wear, and why many babies are born with grey eyes, which later change color. Respectively, the answers are that grey eyes, having so little pigmentation, tend to reflect surrounding colors and appear to change based on the environment, and babies are born with grey eyes because their eyes have not yet produced enough pigmentation to adjust to their genetically determined hue.*****

I like learning things. :)



* And lose all my awesome pictures from Sweden, which interrupted my little travelog, but don't worry, I eventually got those back, thank goodness!
** I try not to post things unless I think there's at least a remote chance that someone out there might be interested. If it's just for me, I can talk to myself. I do it all the time. And, in the ever insightful words of my sage of a father, "Nobody cares what I think."
*** Dr. FOLSE!
**** Thank you, Wikipedia.
***** Have you lost count of all these asterisks yet?

1 comment:

  1. Awww, I will read it! And I'm always interested to see what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete