Friday, September 9, 2011

It's like candy for my mouth! Oh wait...

There are some words that are just fun to say.

The word that came to mind (or rather, came to mouth) today was "Snuggles." It's my new nickname for my 4.5 month-old baby girl who is responding to the cooler weather by becoming very clingy (it's hard for me to complain when the solution is lots of baby hugs).

I then began wondering if similar words would be just as fun (what else is there to do when your hands are full of a cuddly baby?).

Wiggles: ends the same, but to me, it just wasn't as good.
This made me wonder if it was less the "-ggles" suffix, and more the vowel preceding it.

Puddles: This one makes me happy, but I wonder if I just really like puddles...

Bubbles: Again, very positive associations with this word. Who doesn't like bubbles???

Buckles: This one gives me pause. Buckles aren't as fun as puddles or bubbles. In fact they can be downright annoying when you're in a hurry, so no positive associations there. Also, the "ck" sound is a little harsh. Yet, it's still rolling off the tongue satisfactorily.
On a scale of 0-10, 0 being "axe" and 10 being "snuggles," I'd say this is an 8.

Puggles: NOW we're getting somewhere! Yep, definitely fun to say, and fun to play with. Hmm, we're back to our "-ggles" suffix. AND it has a "u!" Okay, I'm definitely sensing a pattern. I think words ending it "-uggles" are my favorite! This leads us to the ultimate, smile-every-time, fun to say, funnier to think about...







Yep, can't stop smiling.

Heehee, Buggles. :D

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you about buckles - it reminds me of pickles, that also has the harsh -ck sound. But that sound also seems appropriate to me because they're best when crisp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, pickles! I missed that one! I like it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete