Wednesday, September 14, 2011

On Love and Sacrifice

This post was inspired by a discussion of this quote:

"We have meekly agreed that the kitchen sink is an obstacle instead of an altar... The routines of housework and of mothering may be seen as a kind of death, and it is appropriate that they should be, for they offer the chance, day after day, to lay down one's life for others."
-Elisabeth Elliot
Let me put it this way: First, while I find housework rewarding (as unpleasant as the chore may be, there is a sense of satisfaction in the final result), it is rarely my first choice (I have yet to meet someone who looks forward to doing dishes). But it is something that has to be done, everyone has basic needs that must be met through cooking, cleaning, and other chores. As a wife and mother, I have made the choice to provide not just for my own needs, but also for the needs of my family. And, as is true in so many areas of life, to choose to do one thing, is to choose NOT to do a host of other things. We make these kinds of choices everyday, when we choose to go to work rather than sleep in (we regard maintaining our employment at a higher value than a few extra Z's), or when we choose onion rings instead of french fries with our Happy Meal (totally worth the extra charge). In High School, my choice to be involved in marching band and youth symphony meant I couldn't participate in other extracurriculars like the cross-country or speech teams. Sure, it was a bummer I couldn't do those things, but I wanted to play music more, and I don't regret it.
So sure, I'd rather read a good book, or hang out with friends, or sleep, or watch TV than do laundry or change diapers, but I choose to do these things, becasue I know that providing clean clothes for my family will be far more rewarding in the end. The death is not mine, rather my choice to love and serve my family necessitates the death of other activities I may have enjoyed.
"Sacrifice" is defined as "an act of giving up something valued for the sake of something else regarded as more important or worthy." That is what my status means. I have sacrificed some of my valued activites for the sake of my family, which I regard as more important. While sacrifice is never easy, this is not a death to be mourned. Rather, I have given of myself in order to receive something greater. In this case, a happy, joy-filled home. How could I regret that? Thinking in these terms takes mundane, tiresome chores and turns them into something greater, something filled with meaning.
Jesus said "Greater love has no man than this: that he should lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)
We revere as heroes the soldiers, police, firefighters and numerous others who made the ultimate sacrifice for the sake of another, yet we ignore the fact that so many women willingly and happily "lay down their life" day after day for those they love.
Don't worry, this is not a tragedy forced upon me, this is a choice I am proud to have made, and I know my husband and daughter will appreciate this gift of myself.
Now, everyone go hug your mothers! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment